How Austin Became "Stand Up Paddle (SUP) Capital of the World"
Austin has become the Stand Up Paddle (SUP) Capital of the world. Stand up paddle surfing originated in ancient Hawaii. It went away for a long period of time and re-emerged in the 1960's. Then it washed away into obscurity again for 3-4 decades until it made a strong comeback at the onset of the 21st century. It then began to spread to other surfing regions around the world, such as Southern California, particularly Malibu, Newport Beach, San Diego and Dana Point. Undoubtedly, Hawaii should be and is considered the Home of (SUP) Stand Up Paddle Surfing and always will be.
So while Hawaii is the "Home of (SUP) Stand Up Paddle Surfing", there are several reasons why Austin, Texas has emerged as the "Stand Up Paddle (SUP) Capital of the World". The following are some of the reasons for it, followed by some facts to support it.
Austin, TX is ideal for stand up paddling from many respects. Austin is a fitness focused town, with Austinites eager to take on any new form of fitness. Stand up paddling is a total body workout. Its the perfect combination of many forms of fitness already popular in Austin: Running, jogging, walking, swimming, tennis, weight lifting, pilates, aerobics, boot camps, bicycling, rowing, kayaking, canoeing, etc. We refer to SUP as, "Exercise in Disguise", as stand up paddling provides for a full body workout while having fun, with low impact and even getting to spend time on the water. And, of course, Central Texas has many popular recreational lakes and rivers. Given all these factors, it was clear, SUP (Stand Up Paddling) was going to be huge in Austin.
Matzorkis states that within five minutes of his first experience stand up paddling that the realization struck him that SUP, for all the reasons listed above, was going to be huge in Austin. That, with the right push, Austin would in fact quickly become the Stand Up Paddle (SUP) Capital of the World. By the end of his first stand up paddle experience, the idea for SUP ATX was born.
The SUP ATX "About Us" page details the process that then went into the development of SUP ATX stand up paddle boards, carbon fiber paddles, related SUP equipment and the marketing efforts to support the overall mission, but the end results speak for themselves.
- SUP ATX is selling more stand up paddle boards in total and in more countries than any other stand up paddle board maker, all branded with "SUP ATX", proudly spreading its Austin, TX roots via stand up paddle boards to all corners of the world.
- The SUP ATX Facebook page with well over 10,000 Fans as of May 2010, has by a multiple of about ten times, more fans than any other stand up paddle related entity on Facebook. This is the largest online community of stand up paddlers on the Internet.
- The SUP ATX Meetup Group based in Austin, TX, with with over 1,500 members as of May 2010, is the largest organization of stand up paddlers anywhere in the world. With five scheduled weekly Meetups on Austin area lakes, and with SUP ATX providing stand up paddle boards for those who don't have their own yet, approximately 500-1000 Austinites per week are stand up paddling. This is more than any other one city anywhere and is by far a large multiple of the number of stand up paddlers in any given week, even in SUP strongholds such as Malibu, CA.
- The SUP ATX website is the most visited SUP related website, with 40,000-50,000 monthly visitors as of May 2010.
- SUP ATX videos, widely published on YouTube, FOXsports.com, Facebook and the SUP ATX website are the most viewed SUP related videos on the Internet. "The SUP ATX Stand Up Paddle Journey from Malibu to Austin" has been viewed 3 million times online as of May 2010. This one video has been viewed more times than all other stand up paddle related videos combined that are published on YouTube.